Skip to main content

Xmas stamped shaker cards

I have been amazed by a recent video from Jennifer Mcguire ostamped shaker cards (link at the end of this post for technical details).

I wanted to try something similar myself, but more on the Xmas theme.

My post focuses mainly on the things I've changed, so if you need a step-by-step guide, again, hit the link at the bottom of the page (but please don't skip my post 😊)

I was well aware that I was missing most of the cool items she used for her cards like for example the single stitch frame die, the shimmer pen and the Copic markers but I think I can be pretty happy with the result anyway.


In order to create the frame I have used two dies of the Sizzix Squares Framelits Die Set that I've stuck together with washi tape like this




I've used the square left over as a background for the shaker window.

I've stamped an alphabet with white ink and embossed it with white Jasmine powder 

and glued some sequins and stars!


I've stamped with black pigment ink several Xmas trees on white Bristol card stock and heat set the ink with the heat gun.


I've coloured the trees with Distress Crayons (Yuppieee 😹😹 I managed to use these expensive and rather poorly versatile crayons for the second time since I bought them)


I've cut the trees out, added some sparkle, stuck a thread on the back of the image and fixed the two ends of the thread to the paper frame 



I've stuck the square stamped background on white card stock, glued the frame on it, added some Martha Stewart's red microbeads and sealed the window with a square acetate sheet mounted on a paper frame.






I hope you liked this post. I had so much fun in both making the cards and writing about it!

Link to Jennifer's video HERE

Comments

Popular posts

Card making and papercraft magazines

Last month I had the chance to get, for the first time, a couple of Cardmaking & papercraft  magazines: Papercraft Inspirations and Make Christmas card magazine. Papercraft Inspiration December issue had a Christmas window build-a-scene embossing folder and stamp free gift, as well as  free festive papers . Make Christmas cards was offering:  2 embossing folder borders ,  13 stylish stamps ,  32 Christmas papers ,  12 découpage sheets ,  117 toppers & motifs and  73 festive greetings. Here you have some of the cards and tags I've made with the magazines' gifts All cards have been donated to hospitals 

One more way to combine soy wax and gel!

The followings are all two-layered candles with the bottom layer made of gel and the upper part made of soy wax . Why combining the two of them? Because gel is transparent and allows you to embed objects   and soy wax   has an incredible  scent   throw and a long burning time ! Few simple rules for embedding objects: ideally they should be non flammable (like glass animals, shells or stones)! ...but if you do not exaggerate with the amount, you also can potentially use cinnamon sticks, dried flowers etc... To be on the safe side: if you use flammable objects I'd anyway suggest you to pour the thinnest layer of gel as possible (just to cover the embeds) and avoid burning this layer. And remember: never ever leave lit candles unattended! Let yourself be inspired and give it a try! Gel embeddings: glitters (blue candle) or sea shells (peach candle). Soy wax: caramel-scented.   G el embeddings: cinnamon sticks G el embeddings: cinnamon sticks (left) or star