Skip to main content

My first cold process soap: 100% of natural products and love!

Spoiler: it worked!!! Anyway, it's worth going through the entire post for comments and the final soap test!

An incredibly important step: wooden mould lining! If you don't do it in the correct way you can have spills all over your working surface and this is definitely not good when working with a very caustic emulsion (lye+oils are still not fully saponified when you pour the emulsion in the mould so they are still highly caustic).
Looking on the internet I found this amazing video and...voilà! I managed to line my mould in few minutes and in a much safer way than I've ever done before (when doing M&P it happened to me to lose a lot of soap because of holes in the corners!!!)
I've chosen the Beer soap (Shaving soap) recipe from Janice Joyce 'Make your own soap' book.

Thing is, that I didn't have a flat beer at home or the Kaoline clay so I went for distilled water and finely ground bamboo powder, respectively.

This soap contains: pomace olive oil, canola oil, coconut oil, palm oil and castor oil (all products are from YouWish.nl, a great company by the way!).

NO preservatives, NO fragrances, NO colours, NOTHING HARMFUL... that's 100% natural soap.





I love this kind of lid: no spills at all!









Procedure:
1) I first prepared the lye solution. I  carefully weighed the required amount of caustic soda for this recipe and added it little by little to the required amount of water. I did this outdoor (balcony) to avoid breathing the fumes released during the preparation and I did it on a stable surface that I have previously covered with a plastic layer and newspapers. 

2) I have weighed the liquid oils and mixed them together in the measuring PP jug.

3) I have weighed the solid oils, put them in a Pyrex jug and melted them in the microwave with few burst of 30 seconds (and then hand stirring).



4) I waited until oils and lye solution reached an approximatively temperature of 42-45°C degrees and then mixed them!
I did this step with a silicon ballon whisk because I wanted to do it in the old way (Granny didn't have a stick blender!!!)

OK, after almost 1 hour of hand-stirring I was about to get desperate because I could barely see the 'trace' (see HERE for an excellent explanation of what 'trace' is).
I decided to pour the mixture anyway!
I have covered and isolated the mould for 24 hours and patiently waited...
...and the day after... my first beautiful soap was there, still a bit soft to be unmoulded, but definitely there!

Facts: I have unmoulded the soap after 48 hours and cut it into slices after 2 additional days!


Analysis: 


  • There are no lye pockets in the soap which is very good and safe!
  • There's only a veil of lye ashes on the surface (don't get scared by the name, because they are not harmful or dangerous).
  • pH after a week is between 8.2-8.4 (CP soaps usually range from 8-10).


 And above all... it bubbles!!!


Now curing time for 4 (long) weeks! ;-)

Comments

Popular posts

Card making and papercraft magazines

Last month I had the chance to get, for the first time, a couple of Cardmaking & papercraft  magazines: Papercraft Inspirations and Make Christmas card magazine. Papercraft Inspiration December issue had a Christmas window build-a-scene embossing folder and stamp free gift, as well as  free festive papers . Make Christmas cards was offering:  2 embossing folder borders ,  13 stylish stamps ,  32 Christmas papers ,  12 découpage sheets ,  117 toppers & motifs and  73 festive greetings. Here you have some of the cards and tags I've made with the magazines' gifts All cards have been donated to hospitals 

One more way to combine soy wax and gel!

The followings are all two-layered candles with the bottom layer made of gel and the upper part made of soy wax . Why combining the two of them? Because gel is transparent and allows you to embed objects   and soy wax   has an incredible  scent   throw and a long burning time ! Few simple rules for embedding objects: ideally they should be non flammable (like glass animals, shells or stones)! ...but if you do not exaggerate with the amount, you also can potentially use cinnamon sticks, dried flowers etc... To be on the safe side: if you use flammable objects I'd anyway suggest you to pour the thinnest layer of gel as possible (just to cover the embeds) and avoid burning this layer. And remember: never ever leave lit candles unattended! Let yourself be inspired and give it a try! Gel embeddings: glitters (blue candle) or sea shells (peach candle). Soy wax: caramel-scented.   G el embeddings: cinnamon sticks G el embeddings: cinnamon sticks (left) or star