First post of the year (I really hope this won't trigger polemics)! Ahahahhaa!
Before Xmas holidays I've been spending a lot of time making candles (mainly with soy wax) with the obvious consequence of generating a lot of chaos all around the flat and being obliged to do a lot of post-crafting cleaning. In addition, I have used a lot of current (with an obvious corresponding increase in the electricity bill!). Yes you got it right, current! I always melt my waxes in a double boiler and I have an electric stove!
For my husband's sake I have slowed down with candle making but I always fancy to prepare some candles for us or for close friends and I started wondering whether it would have worked using the microwave to melt small amounts of soy wax...
I knew it would have been possible to melt soy wax in a microwave, but I honestly never did it before because I don't like to overheat wax (which is never a good thing).
- NO tin containers in the microwave. Go for pyrex or any other microwave-compatible glassware;
- 10-20 seconds bursts at full blast will be more than enough to melt a small amount of soy wax;
- If you still have unmelted flakes DO NOT repeatedly heat the wax, just stir it for some minutes: flakes will disappear very easily and you won't risk to overheat the wax and the container.
Result it has been pretty satisfying: everything remained clean, I have used only a limited amount of current and it took me only 10 minutes to do this (you need to wait a bit before pouring the wax in the final container, eh!).
White flakes on top have been sprinkled after pouring, when bottom layer was kind of firm.