Skip to main content

Are your fabrics made of cotton? Burn test will tell you!

After laundry, vacuum cleaning, a bit of clothes folding and my Nespresso machine descaling (uff I'm tired!), I decided to test whether two pieces of fabric I bought 10 days ago (or maybe more, time flies!) are 100% cotton...

How so? Let me start from the beginning... few weeks ago I decided to start a pretty nice (but likely highly unsuccessful at least for me) project: making rice heating pads without a sewing machine !
You can use heating pads to warm up your feet, hands, and bed linen too! You can warm them up in the oven or in the microwave....with a caveat: they have to be made of cotton or any other natural fiber that doesn't burn as soon as you put it into the oven/microwave !!!
Heating pads are very useful for winter time and I'd like to make some for two people I love.

As first thing I went to a haberdashery and bought two colourful fabric stripes! I washed them and then, only then, asked myself whether they were made of cotton....

I looked on the internet and found that the easiest way to do understand that is to proceed with the burning test!

Take a candle or a lighter, forceps to hold the fabric swatch, and do it in the safest way as possible! Don't use plastic containers, keep salt at your fingertips just in case...



Put the fabric swatch close (not onto) the flame and observe... if it's cotton it doesn't shrink away from the flame, it will glow while burning, it will release a light grey smoke, ash will be fluffy and easy to disintegrate!



For more info about other fabrics please refer to this amazing video

Popular posts

Fire vibe soap: recipe, tricks and links to technical videos

I have mixed two techniques in order to obtain different patterns, one on the inside of the soap bar and one on the top.



Here you have the links to the original videos showing the techniques: 1) Tilted tiger stripe swirl 2) Multi-mica Taiwan swirl
Since I run out of castor oil, I had to modify the recipe shown in video 1) as follows  ­čśů
Recipe (slow moving trace):
Olive oil (pomace) 70% Coconut oil 22.25% Palm oil (organic) 7.75%
Note that the palm oil I buy from The Soap Kitchen 'carries Organic Certification and comes from Columbia. It is not produced on land that has been taken from the Rain Forests, nor are there any Orangutangs made homeless. Our suppliers do use 'ethical' methods in their production (we have actually visited the site). Our Columbian suppliers are members of the RSPO (Round Table for Sustainable Production ofPalmOil).'
Scent:Orange EO (10X) from The Soap Kitchen 
⚠⚠⚠  Use only glass jars/containers to prepare and blend essential oils! (I felt like I had to re…

Polka dots surprise soap and TANGER swirl

I've unconventionally used two techniques for the swirl in the inside of the bar: tilted tiger stripeswirl and + hanger swirl or, as I call it, TANGER SWIRL